The Bright Side of Personality
The Hogan Personality Inventory (HPI) describes normal, or bright-side personality – qualities that describe how we relate to others when we are at our best. Whether your goal is to find the right hire or develop stronger leaders, assessing normal personality gives you valuable insight into how people work, how they lead, and how successful they will be.
HPI measures normal personality along seven scales:
- Adjustment: confidence, self-esteem, and composure under pressure
- Ambition: initiative, competitiveness, and desire for leadership roles
- Sociability: extraversion, gregarious, and need for social interaction
- Interpersonal Sensitivity: tact, perceptiveness, and ability to maintain relationships
- Prudence: self-discipline, responsibility, and thoroughness
- Inquisitive: imagination, curiosity, and creative potential
- Learning Approach: achievement orientation, valuing education
HPI measures six occupational scales that predict performance in a specific role:
- Service Orientation: attentiveness and courteousness toward customers
- Stress Tolerance: composure, calm under pressure
- Reliability: honesty, positive organizational citizenship
- Clerical Potential: self-discipline, meticulousness, and the ability to communicate clearly
- Sales Potential: energy, social skills, and the ability to solve problems for customers
- Managerial Potential: leadership ability, planning, and decision-making skills
The HPI was developed specifically for business applications, and identifies the personality characteristics that distinguish individuals and predict career success, making it a powerful tool that can be used throughout the employee lifecycle.
- Selection: Selection reports fueled by the HPI inject valuable insight into the hiring process, from measuring candidates’ job fit to highlighting specific areas of strengths and weaknesses.
- Development: Our HPI-driven development reports offer actionable management and development suggestions to help you guide careers and development.
- Leadership: Normal personality predicts leadership potential. Our leadership reports offer detailed development advice to help your leaders play to their strengths without overdoing it.