Regional IT Consultancy firm in Europe: Concerns with sales growth
What was the challenege?
The organization was undergoing a change initiative and there was concern from Senior management about how the departments were dealing with the change together, which included indicators of decreasing sales. The Managing Director required an in-depth understanding of the structure of the organizational network with its effective performance qualifying and quantifying. They were delighted Organizational Network Analysis (ONA) and Network Centrality could clearly provide this insight.
How did you help?
- Used Network Centrality to better understand the network dynamics within the organisation
- Identified a strong lack of collaboration within the Business Development team and a strong desire for members of this department to work not only individually but even close to isolation
- Identified a disconnect between the R&D team and the rest of the business. This fragmentation in the network suggests that the R&D will be missing the best initial source of understanding client needs and client feedback available to them = their colleagues who are interacting directly with the clients daily.
- Female colleagues communicated three times as much as their Male colleagues. Therefore, the Female employees were more important to effective functioning of the communication and collaboration network.
How was the outcome?
- Change of policies to facilitate more collaborative sales targets and rewards.
- Common sense interventions introduced such as inter department ‘open problem’ sessions.
- Identified change agents within the network to champion and drive the initiative for greater collaboration and sharing of customer insight.